[openib-general] Fwd: issues in ipoib

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Thu Aug 3 16:17:30 PDT 2006

>> We don't know that sa_query->client is still valid here unless a
>> reference was taken earlier.
>
>Yes we do.
>Client must wait till all queries complete before unregistering.
>
>> I like this approach, but would like to see it expanded to track the
>requests,
>> to avoid duplicating this work in every client.  Unregistration would then
>> cancel all outstanding queries issued by the user.
>
>I would not object to this on principle, but let's go there by small
>steps - for now, let's get the API fixed and  solve the race with module
>unloading that we have for 2.6.18. OK?

I don't see the need to rush for 2.6.18.  No one is hitting this problem, and it
still applies to the ib_cm, ib_addr, and rdma_cm.

I'm working on the userspace SA interface now, which means that I'll end up
re-working the patch in a week.  Tracking queries will require changes to the
structure that are best hidden from the users.  Hiding those changes requires
reworking the proposed ib_sa_register_client API to create and return struct
ib_sa_client, rather than it being provided by the caller.