[openib-general] re the core network changes to support network event notification

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Tue Aug 8 07:15:02 PDT 2006

Steve Wise wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 13:54 +0300, Or Gerlitz wrote:

Steve,

OK, thanks for all the clarifications and information re the rtnetlink
and why its an overkill to use it (vs netevents) within the kernel.

>> I guess IPoIB code would be able to take advantage of RTM_NEIGHUPD netlink event
>> or a netevents based filter to remove the data path memcmp on the neigh HA address.

> I haven't looked at the IPoIB code.  What is it doing exactly (I am
> somewhat familiar with the IPoIB specification and how it works)?

http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=8a7f752125a930a83f4d8dfe37fa5a081ab19d31

Take a look on this "IB/ipoib: Fix packet loss after hardware address
update" patch, it overcomes a situation where the neighbor structure is
**updated** (for example the HA address is changed, as of gratuitous
ARP) but as the neighbor destructor is not called, IPoIB is not aware to
that and hence does not update the AH (IB Address-Handle) associated
with the HA.

So the current solution was to memcmp the neigh info with what IPoIB
knows about this nieghbor on the data path.

With your patch, i guess this memcmp can be eliminated.

Or.

Or.