[openib-general] IB mcast question

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Mon Aug 14 13:32:27 PDT 2006

Steve,

IB only replicates once per node (and also not on the incoming port if there are any members).

The SM tracks join states (full, non member, send only member) for a port. It doesn't matter whether the SM gets duplicated join requests for a port. It would just indicate that was OK and the node would still only get one packet per send from another port in that group. It's up to the HCA to replicate the multicast packet to all its QPs which are part of that group.

-- Hal