[openib-general] [RFC] IPoIB high availability daemon

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Mon Aug 14 13:33:00 PDT 2006

Quoting r. Roland Dreier <rdreier at cisco.com>:
> Subject: Re: [RFC] IPoIB high availability daemon
>
>     Vladimir> The daemon is a perl script ipoib_ha.pl that should get
>     Vladimir> the primary and the backup IPoIB interfaces as a
>     Vladimir> parameters (default values are ib0 as a primary and ib1
>     Vladimir> as a backup).
>
> Seems like a perl script that relies on the ip command is a little
> heavyweight.  Why not a standalone program that uses rtnetlink?

We could go there yet, but there'd be a lot of issues to cover:
note how we need to also set IP addresses, read configuration ...
Further, the only system that might care about this I know about (bproc)
dislikes running daemons on endnodes anyway.

Finally - work is underway for kernel-level solutions
involving bonding etc.

So - let's see a working implementation first, optimize later.
Makes sense?

>     Vladimir> - Get configuration of the primary interface from its
>     Vladimir> standard place (ifcfg-ib<N> from
>     Vladimir> /etc/sysconfig/{network,network-scripts}).
>
> This is not standard on all distributions.  It would be better to have
> a more flexible method that worked on Debian/Ubuntu, etc.

Yea, but just adding our own configuration would mean configuration
overhead for the administrator, lack of convenient tools to do it ...
Using standard interfaces is good.  An idea how to solve this?

--
MST