[openib-general] Conflicting typedefs for "ib_gid_t"

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Mon Aug 14 16:44:50 PDT 2006

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> Do you have a proposal for how to get to where you think this needs to be ?
> Have you looked at this ?

I think defining include files similar to what we have for the kernel make sense.

The problem is more complex than what definitions an application gets from which
include file.  The data in these structures are also exchanged between userspace
and the kernel.  For example, there's an sa.h file as part of libibverbs, since
it marshals parameters from kernel to userspace.  Wire structure definitions
ended up working well for me for user to kernel transitions.

> I think you are proposing OpenSM include verbs.h. I think that's only part of
> what would need to be done (and has some other side effects).

I would also have definitions in a libibsa and libibcm.  The relevant CM
definitions are there.  (I don't see a need to expose most of the CM wire
definition outside of the kernel.)  I can't think of a reason why OpenSM would
need any CM definitions, so I would remove those from from any OpenSM include files.

SA attribute structures are also needed by libibsa, but since it seems overkill
to include OpenSM on all nodes, I would define the SA attribute structures as
part of libibsa, and let OpenSM use its include files.