[openib-general] IB mcast question

Dotan Barak dotanb at mellanox.co.il
Mon Aug 14 23:04:06 PDT 2006

Hi guys.

On Monday 14 August 2006 23:33, Sean Hefty wrote:
> Steve Wise wrote:
> > So is this replicating done in the mthca hca?
>
> As just an FYI, I didn't see anything wrong in the mthca driver either when I
> was looking at this problem.
>
> > Since one app is getting the mcast packet, can I assume the opensm code
> > is doing the right thing switch/port wise?
>
> That seems like a fairly safe assumption.
>
> > Should the SM get join requests for both applications that join the
> > group on the same host?  Or only the first one?
>
> Only the first join request should make it to the SA.  The second join request
> is fulfilled by ib_multicast.  This is what makes ib_multicast suspect.

What is exactly the scenario that you are doing?

We have a test (over the verbs) that have 1 server and n clients.
All of the clients create a QPs and attaches them to the (same) multicast group (without any join).
The server sends m messages and all of the clients get those messages in every QP.

This test passes when it being executed in one HCA, in two HCAs (without any switch in the middle).

Dotan