[openib-general] return error when rdma_listen fails

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Aug 16 14:29:00 PDT 2006

Pete Wyckoff wrote:
> 1) When a device gets added to the system, is there code that applies
> existing INADDR_ANY listens to the new device?  Where?

Yes - see cma_add_one() where cma_listen_on_dev() is called.

> By the way, shouldn't the rdma_bind_addr call that preceeded
> rdma_listen have failed when I tried to bind to INADDR_ANY with a
> specified port, but that port was already in use by a device?  This
> could be just another failure to keep the amso NIC state consistent
> with the host state.

My expectation is that an iWarp device would fail the bind.

In general, I do not believe that the correct approach is for the RDMA CM to use
the same port space as TCP.  Underlying transports should map addresses in
whatever way works best for them.  For IB, the IP addresses are mapped to GIDs
and ports to service IDs.  iWarp should map into the correct port space or fail
the binding.