[openib-general] basic IB doubt

Greg Lindahl greg.lindahl at qlogic.com
Wed Aug 23 16:08:12 PDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 09:29:18AM -0700, Sean Hefty wrote:

> I don't believe that there is any ordering guarantee by the architecture.
> However, specific adapters may behave this way, and I've seen applications make
> use of this by polling the last memory byte for a completion, for example.

Actually, that leads me to a question: does the vendor of that adaptor
say that this is actually safe? Just because something behaves one way
most of the time doesn't mean it does it all of the time. So it it
really smart to write non-standard-conforming programs unless the
vendor stands behind that behavior?

-- greg