[openib-general] basic IB doubt

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Thu Aug 24 15:37:21 PDT 2006

>But you're still confusing practicality and theory. I can see why it's
>pratical sense for newcomers to implement this new, performance-
>reducing feature. But why is it theoretically good?

I'm missing the standard you're using to judge what's theoretically good and
bad.

Applications are written this way today.  A vendor can either:

* Support those apps by providing the feature.
* Require that the apps be rewritten to use their hardware.

Whether apps should have been written this way seems irrelevant.  They are, and
we should make decisions based on that, including extending the spec and/or
implementation if needed.