[openib-general] basic IB doubt

Greg Lindahl greg.lindahl at qlogic.com
Thu Aug 24 16:22:55 PDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 04:13:22PM -0700, Sean Hefty wrote:

> >Why don't you measure it, then?
>
> Why?  Reading a memory location directly will be faster than calling a function
> to read from a memory location.

... sigh. This is not true, there are quite obvious implementations
where this is not true. We had one, actually, and changed it due to
this issue. That was a practical choice.

> >You're also assuming that programs are only checking the last byte of
> >the buffer.
>
> The applications I care about are polling on the last byte.

And tomorrow, the next app may depend on the behavior that all the
bytes arrive in order. Slippery slope, you know.

-- greg