[openib-general] IPv6 and IPoIB scalability issue

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Dec 1 12:07:23 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 14:42, Todd Rimmer wrote:
> [...]

IMO if you want to go down this direction, the place to discuss it is on
the ipoib IETF mailing list. It is still active although dormant or very
sleepy.

> Option 2 compress MGID to MLID mapping
> Standard for IPoIB
> modification of SMs required, significant change

Significant in what respect ? The code changes are reasonably simple I
think. Is it from the perspective of upgrading SMs in the field for this
? I think it is a feature for better IPv6 support.

> configuration of MGID space in SM to consider for compression may be
> required
> total of 2005 MGIDs in cluster
> up to 2005 multicast subscriptions per node (sender only for Solicited
> Node initiators)

Does the node subscribe to every IPv6 SN group ?

> total of 2000*2005 (4,010,000) multicast member records in SA for fabric

This is based on the above (which I'm not sure about) and is the worst
theoretical case, not the practical case.

> Option 3 compress MGID to MLID mapping, use Unicast for Solicited Node
> MGIDs
> Standard for IPoIB
> not clear if standard for IB

More issues than this

> modification of SMs required, significant change

At first glance, there are more issues here than option 2 in terms of SM
(and client operation).

> configuration of MGID space in SM to consider for compression may be
> required
> configuration of MGID space in SM to use for unicast may be required
> total of 2005 MGIDs in cluster
> up to 2005 multicast subscriptions per node (sender only for Solicited
> Node initiators)
> total of 2000*2005 (4,010,000) multicast member records in SA for fabric
>
> Hence thus far, option 2 is most standard, option 3 may be standard,
> option 1 has best scalability for SM.
>
> It seems worth while to implement option 1 (which should be approx 10-20
> lines of code in IPoIB) and continue to pursue option 2 and 3 as SM
> features.  Then customers can choose which option works best for them.

I think before pursuing option 1 there needs to be a discussion with the
IETF WG involving the RFC authors (Vivek Kashyap, Jerry Chu).

-- Hal