[openib-general] QUESTION: git-tag howto

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Mon Dec 4 02:01:32 PST 2006

Good question.  There are different kinds of tags.
For OFED we used lightweigh tags so far.
Linus uses signed tags for Linux releases.

What *should* we use for OFED long term?
Comments wellcome.

Summary below.

----

Lightweigh tag is just a reference, not a real object.
As such, they do not have a name and are not immutable.

you create them with
git tag <name>

Tag objects have a name and so are immutable.

These are created with
git tag -a <name>
for unsigned tags

and

git tag -s/-u
for signed tags.

Quoting r. Hoang-Nam Nguyen <HNGUYEN at de.ibm.com>:
Subject: QUESTION: git-tag howto

Hi Michael!
Can you please give me some advices how to git-tag? Do I really need
to generate a gpg key for that? It would be great if you can describe
me briefly your git-tag procedure.
Thanks!
Nam

--