[openib-general] IPoIB and MC Group leaving

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Tue Dec 5 12:31:18 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 11:01, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 10:49, Roland Dreier wrote:
> >  > This is to make sure node is not registered in any groups. This leave
> >  > may not be successful. Failure is "normal" when the subnet is starting
> >  > up "fresh". There are other cases where the failure is indeed a failure.
> >
> > As far as I know, IPoIB will not leave a group unless it thinks it has
> > joined the group.  What is the code path for a "preemptive" leave?
>
> OK maybe I have that part wrong but what about the other part:

Roland,

> The fact that a leave doesn't wait for the response and then a join is
> issued. I think there is a race condition here perhaps triggered by
> client reregistration.

Are the leave and join for the same port and group done by the same or
different threads within IPoIB ? Is there any way they can be reordered
so that the join occurs before the leave rather than the other way
around ? It does appear that the leave is sent once and only once (it is
not retried as far as I can tell).

-- Hal