[openib-general] [ANNOUNCE] - Chelsio T3 Git Repositories

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu Dec 7 14:24:32 PST 2006

> I'm struggling with maintaining a patch series in-review on lklm and
> netdev, plus maintaining a consistent tree that I can QA on and not
> introduce bugs from other stuff going into 2.6.20. So I don't want to
> just base this tree on Roland's for-2.6.20, as an example.  I really
> just want 2.6.19 + stuff needed to run chelsio's T3.  Right now, that is
> the UCMA stuff + a few core fixes...

I'm sure Roland can provide more input here, but what I did was start with
2.6.19.  Then, for each feature set in SVN, I created a new git branch, reworked
the SVN patches, and applied them to that branch.  Where I had dependencies, I
simply branched off one of my branches.  For example, my multicast branch is off
  my rdma_ucm branch.

My master branch is 2.6.19.  My intent is to update my tree with each new Linux
release.

As an aside, I created a test-apps branch to throw all my kernel test apps into.
  (I really didn't want to maintain a branch per test app, since these will
never merge upstream.)  I included krping in that tree, since i didn't see where
you were maintaining it, and I didn't want to lose it.

> Roland, I welcome your thoughts too on how I should do this.  I'm new to
> git.  Also I'm using stgit to maintain the chelsio driver patch series,
> so I continually pop it and add fixes to each patch as I fix things, so
> the tree really is kind of in-flux...

I didn't think that you wanted to do this after you've published a tree.  If
someone clones your tree, then you use stgit to pop a patch, modify it, then
recommit it, I'm not how a cloned tree reconciles the changes.