[openib-general] libsdp: RFC changing libsdp.conf location

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Mon Dec 11 02:06:07 PST 2006

Quoting r. Eitan Zahavi <eitan at mellanox.co.il>:
Subject: libsdp: RFC changing libsdp.conf location

Hi,

> Currently libsdp.conf is installed into $prefix/etc.
> This seems a little non standard to me.

There's no real standard on configuration files in Unix.
So you can do whatever you want within reason.

> Instead I would think it needs
> to go
> into /etc/infiniband/libsdp.conf.

/etc/infiniband is an OFED thing.
I suggest keeping libsdp separate so that it is
distribution agnostic.

> Any comments - please speak up.

In the past, lots of customers asked that installed files reside
under $prefix. It *is* important since it lets people
find out easily what is added to their systems.
OFED does not follow this rule 100% but its better not to
add more exceptions.

> BTW: libsdp.conf used to be overwritten in previous install.
> I have fixed the nakefile to avoid that and instead create a
> new file with install date under the same directory.

So installed file hits a different location
depending on date and on whether I have an old library installed?
This pretty much guarantees user won't be able to find the file you have
installed: you seem to assume that users read installation logs but that's
typically not the case.

Why not just have libsdp.conf.example, or something like that, under $prefix/etc
and install that always, and only copy to $prefix/etc/libsdp.conf
if that does not exist?

--
MST