[openib-general] mad_agents

Michael Arndt michael.arndt at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Dec 12 10:21:00 PST 2006

Hi,

the following statements about functions and modules refer to the mad.c,
agent.c and user_mad.c file.

during the initialisation of the mad module a funktion ib_agent_port_open is
called(ib_mad_init_device -> ib_mad_port_open). At this point an agent is
registered (ib_register_mad_agent), without a MAD registration request
applied. So my question is, what is this agent for?

And is it right that the agent registered by the umad module
(ib_umad_ioctl -> ib_umad_reg_agent -> ib_register_mad_agent) gets all the
SMP packets from the device and passes them to the SM (read and
FileDescriptior).

What is about the SMA? Where are the SMPs filtered between SMA and SM?

I also would like to say that it would be really nice if there would be some
papers, diagrams, grafics or anything else which explain how the whole
openib system works. The source code as only reference isn't really helping
for new developer.

Thanks Michael