[openib-general] [query]requirement of 'process_mad' in the HCA driver

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Wed Dec 13 03:43:39 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 01:55, keshetti mahesh wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I want to know from u people that isi it necessary to implement the
> process_mad for a HCA.
>
> After looking into the implementations of process_mad in ipath and
> mthca drivers i have fount that they are used to reply the MADs with
> port_info,gid_info,sm_info etc..
>
> But isn't it handled by SMA in the host......

The SMA can either be in the host on in firmware (as is typical with the
Mellanox silicon).

> i am little bit confused now .
> please just whether  it is required to implement process_mad (suppose)
> for new HCA driver....

It is. For an example of a host (software SMA), see
drivers/infiniband/hw/ipath/ipath_mad.c

> if it is required  why?

The driver is needed to obtain the information for the IB node to fill
in the MADs for response to the SMA query. It may also issue some traps.
Similarly for PMA as well.

-- Hal