[openib-general] Different low level drivers returns different return values incase of an error

Dotan Barak dotanb at dev.mellanox.co.il
Sun Dec 17 04:24:42 PST 2006

Hi.

I noticed that low level drivers from different vendors don't act the
same when there is an error.
For example:
    when ibv_post_send fails, libmthca returns -1
    when ibv_post_send fails, libehca returns -(errno value), such as:
-EINVAL, -ENOMEM
    (i didn't check the code of ipath)

I wrote the man pages to the libibverbs (that i hope, soon will be
committed), and tried to describe the
return values of the verbs.

I don't think that the description(behavior) of the verb need to be
according to the HW which is being used ..

If we are going to change to change the return values to a common
behavior i suggest to use a way
which will give more information to the user that uses the verbs (create
IB oriented errno values(?)), or
another method which will give the user a hint of the problem. for
example: when the user try to modify a QP
with a bad value there is an EINVAL return value for all of the values
that he tries to modify ...

What do you think?
Dotan