[openib-general] tavor quirks etc (opensm compliance etc)

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Tue Dec 19 06:01:04 PST 2006

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>> 1) there are three patches
>
> Not really, cma_tavor_quirk.patch is the *only* relevant tavor patch.
> It is not 100% but the only work around for proprietary SMs.
> Fixing the SA is a full solution.  We (Mellanox) will work with SA vendors to
> get this addressed.  But of course this takes time.

cma_tavor_quirk.patch matches the patch you have applied to the opensm,
  so there are two patches at least, one at the stack and one at the
opensm. I don't think you can assume that all SA vendors would apply the
opensm approach and hence running with them the fixed cma tavor quirk as
which you have suggested today is useless with them (Specifically before
they even consider to apply it... so if someone runs OFED X.Y they would
not get 1K mtu with Tavor)

> cma-tavor-quirk in OFED 1.1 is broken but not by design -
> the patch I posted recently fixes the bug and should work with any compliant SM.
> I did not look at the opensm code specifically, but the
> "15.2.5.16 PATHRECORD" is quite explicit in its requirements:
>
> MtuSelector 2 432 In a query request:
>                      3-largest MTU available
>                   If MTU is specified (i.e., the ComponentMask bit for
>                   MTU is 1):
>                      0-greater than MTU specified
>                      1-less than MTU specified
>                      2-exactly the MTU specified
>
> So if e.g. opensm does not comply (e.g. it is not returning a path where one exists)
> we should simply fix it. If there are other broken SMs, we can look at how they
> are broken and how to solve this.

The SM team here don't think our SM is broken b/c it does not return 1K
path mtu where the minimal mtu as reported in the port info along the
path is 2k, and as i told you so does opensm without the quirk

>> 3) the ipoib-selector patch (below) in a way assumes the open-sm quirk
>> and hence it was not pushed upstream, and vise-versa an upstream ipoib
>> code is broken with the open-sm running with the quirk!
>
> All this is incorrect.  ipoib-selector is completely irrelevant to the MTU
> issue - its a strict compliance fix for IPoIB. IPoIB also works fine without
> this patch (with or without tavor quirk activated). It does not depend on any
> specific SM. It is not upstream because of style issues only and due to my lack
> of time to fix it.

this reminds me that there is a need to do OFED 1.1 wrapup in the sense
we have to see which patches from the kernel_patches/fixes directory
were ***not*** pushed upstream to 2.6.19-rcX nor 2.6.20-rc1 and then
conduct some sort of discussion on each to decide what to do with it for
OFED 1.2

> IB/ipoib: user appropriate mtu selector for path queries
>
> IPoIB must set mtu selector in path record query according to dev->mtu:
> if we wildcard it, SM can select a path with lower MTU.
> This breaks IPoIB on networks with SM Tavor quirk activates.

mmm, re-reading the open sm code, i think you are right that the
ipoib-selector patch is independent of the open SM tavor quirk, but than
i don't understand what you were trying to say in the above two lines of
the change log, what can break the SM tavor quirk???

Or.