[openib-general] Re: libibverbs.la seems to have a non-working default.

Jean-Christophe Hugly jice at pantasys.com
Wed Feb 1 10:30:18 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 15:24 +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Quoting r. Guido Passet <openib-general at clustervision.com>:
> > Subject: libibverbs.la seems to have a non-working default.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I ran into a problem compiling libibcm and managed to trace it back to
> > libibverbs. It seems that libibverbs.la has a static link for
> > libsysfs.la to /lib64 on a 64bit host and to /lib on a 32bits host.
> >
> > However, on my SUSE10 system the libtool archive is located in
> > /usr/lib/libsysfs.la..
> >
> > dependency_libs=' -L/usr/local/my-favorite-installdir/OpenIB/lib
> > /lib64/libsysfs.la -lpthread -ldl'
> >
> > For now i have a workaround this, but i am not sure if this is either a
> > feature or a bug ;)
> >
> > Best regards,
> > --
> > Guido Passet            Email: guido.passet at clustervision.com
>
> Looks like autotools problem at your end: libibverbs.la is a generated file.

I have encoutered the same issue (suse10 as well). For now, I also use
an ugly work-around (basically a script goes and seds libibverbs.la
before compiling the rest).

The file may be generated by the autoconf/libtool etc. machinery, but I
do not know how much the contens depends on the make files. The devl
libsysfs.so and .la are in /usr/lib[64], while the run-time is
in /lib[64] that's pretty usual, but there seems to be some assumption
somewhere that the .la is next to the run-time lib. I whish I would have
a week to spare understanding the autoconf/libtool mess. If someone has
already made that cognitive investment, and can figure out where the
mistaken assumption is, that'd be nice.

--
Jean-Christophe Hugly <jice at pantasys.com>
PANTA