[dat-discussions] [openib-general] [RFC] DAT 2.0 immediatedataproposal

Kanevsky, Arkady Arkady.Kanevsky at netapp.com
Mon Feb 6 11:30:20 PST 2006

Roy,
Can you explain, please?

For IB the operation will be layered properly on Transport primitive.
And on Recv side it will indicate in completion event DTO
that it matches RDMA Write with Immediate and that Immediate Data
is in event.

For iWARP I expect initially, it will be layered on RDMA Write
followed by Send. The Provider can do post more efficiently
than Consumer and guarantee atomicity.
On Recv side Consumer will get Recv DTO completion in event
and Immediate Data inline as specified by Provider Attribute.

>From the performance point of view Consumers who program to IB
only will have no performance degradation at all. But this API also
allows Consumers to write ULP to be transport independent
with minimal penalty: one binary comparison and extra 4 bytes in recv
buffer.

Arkady Kanevsky                       email: arkady at netapp.com
Network Appliance Inc.               phone: 781-768-5395
1601 Trapelo Rd. - Suite 16.        Fax: 781-895-1195
Waltham, MA 02451                   central phone: 781-768-5300