[dat-discussions] [openib-general] [RFC] DAT 2.0immediatedataproposal

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Feb 7 07:39:16 PST 2006

>	And further it is only on the receiving side.
>	And only if the receiving side cares about the data
>		(sometimes it only needs the notification).

The send size cares about this check because it must size its SQ appropriately.
I disagree with the assumption that a "transport neutral" API is inherently
easier for the application developer.

>The attempt is to define a composite work request that can
>reduce the number of actual work requests required for
>some providers, without requiring different work flows
>dependent on whether the "immediate" feature was present.

This is exactly what Roy was pointing out.  This is no longer defining a write
with immediate data, but instead addressing some other requirement.  In this
case, you can define a generic send side API that takes multiple work requests
as input, since a provider may be able to reduce the actual number of work
requests in this case as well.