[dat-discussions] [openib-general] [RFC] DAT2.0immediatedataproposal

Arlin Davis ardavis at ichips.intel.com
Wed Feb 8 11:41:21 PST 2006

Caitlin Bestler wrote:

>openib-general-bounces at openib.org wrote:
>

>>I was under the assumption that the DAT` community defined the
>>APIs and semantics through an open process.  Given that the
>>IB write immediate data facility does not break the
>>implementation or semantics of the currently defined RDMA
>>write facility, I see no reason the DAPL spec couldn't be
>>updated, through consensus, with the realities of existing
>>transport services.

I agree, but I am not sure we are any closer to consensus regarding an
**unambiguous** write with immediate. I am also not totally clear on the
rules by which we implement new API's. Regardless, it appears that there
is a strong desire to follow the IB semantics if we go with a standard
API and if we cannot come to consensus then it should be incorporated as
an extension.

I would vote for implementing the standard rdma_write_with_ immediate
API that follows IB semantics.

-arlin