[dat-discussions] [openib-general] [RFC] DAT2.0immediatedataproposal

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Thu Feb 9 12:25:06 PST 2006

At 03:36 PM 2/8/2006, Arlin Davis wrote:
>Roland Dreier wrote:
>
>>    Michael> So, here we have a long discussion on attempting to
>>    Michael> perpetuate a concept that is not universal across
>>    Michael> transports and was deemed to have minimal value that most
>>    Michael> wanted to see removed from the architecture.
>>
>>But this discussion is being driven by an application developer who
>>does see value in immediate data.
>>
>>Arlin, can you quantify the benefit you see from RDMA write with
>>immediate vs. RDMA write followed by a send?
>>

>We need speed and simplicity.
>
>A very latency sensitive application that requires immediate notification
>of RDMA write completion on the remote node without ANY latency penalties
>associated with combining operations, HCA priority rules across QPs, wire
>congestion, etc. An application that has no requirement for messaging
>outside of remote rdma write completion notifications. The application
>would not have to register and manage additional message buffers on either
>side, we can just size the queues accordingly and post zero byte messages.
>We need something that would be equivelent to setting there polling on the
>last byte of inbound data. But, since data ordering within an operation is
>not guaranteed that is not an option. So, rdma with immediate data is the
>most optimal and simplistic method for indication of RDMA-write completion
>that we have available today. In fact, I would like to see it increased in
>size to make it even more useful.

RDMA Write with Immediate is part of the IB Extended Transport Header.  It
is a fixed-sized quantity and not one subject to change, i.e. increasing
its size.

Your argument above reinforces that the particular application need is
IB-specific and thus should not be part of a general API but a
transport-specific API.   If the application will only operate optimally
using immediate data, then it is only suitable for an IB fabric.  This
reinforces the need for a transport-specific API.

Those applications that simply want to enable completion notification when
a RDMA Write has occurred can use a general purpose API that is
interconnect independent and whose code is predicated upon a RDMA Write -
Send set of operations.  This will enable application portability across
all interconnect types.

Mike