[openib-general] Which driver to choose, OpenIB or IBGD?

Ian Jiang ianjiang.ict at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 05:27:37 PST 2006

Hi all,
We are going to develop some applications over the InfiniBand network. And I
would like to get some advice on choosing the IB driver: IBGD or OpenIB.
These applications are of certain scale and the developing will last for a
certain time. So a stable and reliable environment is needed.
As a software collection provided by Mellanox, IBGD-1.8.0 is a good
choice.The open source at OpenIB is developed all the time and the linux
kernel that the latest IB driver need is changed every now and then. That is
what we do not like very much.
However, I am wondering if any new feature is or will be provided in the
OpenIB driver, as it is developing all the time. Our applications might
benefit a lot if so. And could I still turn to this mail-list for help when
coming with problems if we were using the IBGD VAPI?
Another is about the difference between the VAPIs in  IBGD and  OpenIB in a
programmer's  view. The two are of difference not just in name, I'm afraid.
All I could think out is above and any suggestion is appreciated!

--
Ian Jiang
ianjiang.ict at gmail.com

Laboratory of Spatial Information Technology
Division of System Architecture
Institute of Computing Technology
Chinese Academy of Sciences