[openib-general] libmthca error codes question

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Tue Feb 14 10:19:20 PST 2006

    Kyle> I have come across some error codes which are not entirely
    Kyle> documented (or at least very well hidden)..  They are
    Kyle> generated when I try to send via rdma using uverbs interface
    Kyle> on mthca drivers.

They are documented in the IB spec.  See section 11.6.2 of volume 1.
IBV_WC_LOC_PROT_ERR == "Local Protection Error" and
IBV_WC_WR_FLUSH_ERR == "Work Request Flushed Error"

    Kyle> ( I'm polling using ibv_poll_cq() inside a loop) I receive
    Kyle> these two error values/codes for the ibv_wc.status variable:

    Kyle> IBV_WC_LOC_PROT_ERR IBV_WC_WR_FLUSH_ERR (after the first
    Kyle> one, all of the status fields are this)

    Kyle> Is the LOC_PROT_ERR being generated due to some wrong access
    Kyle> flags for the queue pair upon initialization?  I can
    Kyle> send/recv fine on the same queue pair when not using rdma,
    Kyle> so I'm somewhat confused about why I'd not get this error
    Kyle> elsewhere.

Local protection error means that your work request used an
address/L_Key that it does not have access to.  If you post your code
then we might be able to help you document it further.

Once you have one work request complete with an error, the QP will
transition to the error state and all further requests that are queued
will be completed with the flush error.

 - R.