[openib-general] Re: Plans for libibverbs 1.0, 1.1 and beyond

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Thu Feb 16 13:15:19 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:29:29PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Quoting r. James Lentini <jlentini at netapp.com>:
> > I wouldn't want to see the repository split up. Is moving all of the
> > OpenIB code from svn to git an option?
>
> I dont think git supports multiple people working on the same repository.

It does, but I'm not sure if there is a non-ssh based way to connect
to the remote repository and send the changes - ie like the DAV based
mechanism svn uses. If you use ssh and the right group permissions
then it does work (though I'm not 100% sure it has the proper locking
yet..) We've been doing that here on a very light basis with our local
kernel patches.

FWIW having used BK commercially for years and git with the kernel I
really think distributed SCM's are the way to go. They are alot easier
on the developers, capture more information and let you have more
interesting development flows. The CVS like model that SVN implements
is quite limiting in comparison.

That said, git still has alot of rough spots and I'm not sure how well
things work outside the well tested kernel work flow :>

Jason