[openib-general] Plans for libibverbs 1.0, 1.1 and beyond

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at pathscale.com
Thu Feb 16 14:28:58 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 14:09 -0800, Roland Dreier wrote:

> Can you be more explicit about the pain?  What does it make worse?

It means that someone is going to have to integrate changes from your
git tree into the SVN repo.  Is this something you're willing to do, for
example?

Taking off my release manager hat and putting on my "developer speaking
for himself" flame-retardant headgear, I would be second in line after
Roland to put a stake in the heart of the SVN repository and replace it
with a sensible DSCM.  If we were to do that, it would not matter where
individual repositories got hosted, provided the canonical repositories
were available somewhere convenient and public.

However, let me switch hats again.  If we want to get a 1.0 release out
the door in a reasonable time frame, this is not a good time to be
having a barney over the choice of SCM to use.  For example, I'd be
almost as unhappy with git as I am with SVN, due to its user interface
and resource hogginess.

Unless a lot of other people are all excited about the idea of ditching
SVN, I think we should hold our noses and stick with it for 1.0.  We can
start a conversation about moving post-1.0 development to a DSCM (and
perhaps even make the move itself) in parallel, while we go through the
1.0 release motions.

	<b