[openib-general] Re: IBG2 installation

Kyle Schochenmaier kschoche at scl.ameslab.gov
Fri Feb 17 19:40:14 PST 2006

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Quoting r. Karun Beer Sharma <karun at gs-lab.com>:
>
>> Subject: IBG2 installation
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>> I have installed IBG2 (ver. 2.0.1 from Mellanox) with 2.6.9-22EL kernel
>> version.
>> The installation seems OK and I am able to execute some of the commands
>> like ibnetdiscover etc.
>>
>> Then I downloaded Netpipe (ver 3.6.2) and tried to make (make ib) it on
>> my machine. I am getting errors of missing header files (ib_defs.h).
>> I checked the makefile and observed that VAPI_INC path is required. I
>> searhed /usr/include but was not able to find the required header files.
>>
>> Please let me know if I need to install something else also.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Regards,
>> Karun
>>

> Looks like its trying to use gen1 headers (VAPI is gen1).
> I dont know much about netpipe - does it support gen2?

To answer your questions about the NetPipe stuff:
The plan is to include the gen2 support in the upcoming Netpipe 3.6.3
release.
We have a preliminary version of Netpipe that has gen2 support.  It can
be checked out from source.scl.ameslab.gov/hg/netpipe3-dev
Please note that this is not the intended release and has not been
updated yet for the libib*-rc5+ back-compatibility issues.
I have a temporary patch for rc5+ support that I could supply if it is
wanted immediately.  It will be the same thing that is released in
3.6.3, it just hasnt made its way through to the server yet.

Hope that helps, please CC future inquiries about Netpipe stuff to the
netpipe mailing list as well <netpipe at lists.scl.ameslab.gov>   ;)
thanks,

    - Kyle