[openib-general] Suggested components to support in 1.0

Christoph Hellwig hch at lst.de
Fri Feb 24 13:27:48 PST 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 09:16:14AM -0800, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> Here is a first cut at the set of components (protocols, drivers,
> userspace bits) that I think we should be supporting in 1.0.  Please
> look over it and let me know if I'm missing anything.
>
> HCA support (both kernel driver and userspace verbs components):
>
>       * ehca
>       * ipath
>       * mthca

If fear the first two want be ready in time unless the progress rate
increases a lot.

> IB protocols:
>
>       * IPoIB
>       * RC

I haven't seen any RC code for the gen2 stack yet and thus highly doubt
it'll be ready in time.

>       * SDP

There's various political problems involved here.  And besides that the
code needs some serious work which is only happening really really
slowly.

>       * SRQ
>       * UC
>       * UD

What upper layer protocols do you refer to with these acronyms?

> Components that I don't know what to do about, and will likely want to
> drop unless someone can vouch for them:
>
>       * iSER

this has been making some nice progress and could make it into 2.6.17

>       * SRP

srp has been in mainline for quite a while and is a really simple
protocol.  no need not to support it.