[openib-general] RFC: SDP plans

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Mon Feb 27 11:33:11 PST 2006

Quoting r. Sean Hefty <mshefty at ichips.intel.com>:
> Subject: Re: [openib-general] RFC: SDP plans

> >>Then release 1.0 will need to wait until SPD has been updated.
> >
> >I'm not sure what the point would be: is that in case SDP misses 2.6.17?
>
> My understanding is that SDP is not ready for merging upstream.  If having
> a stable release of SDP is a requirement for release 1.0, then the release
> should wait until you've completed your updates, and it is ready for
> merging upstream.

Right, but SDP kernel/user interface is well defined, besides the protocol
family. Its basically the regular socket interface + unbind option.

So its possible to make the protocol family configurable in userspace sdp
library (libsdp) and then include libsdp in Release 1.0 and it will work with
whatever SDP code makes it upstream.

--
Michael S. Tsirkin
Staff Engineer, Mellanox Technologies