[openib-general] Need for ONE OpenIB Release process that allmembers can agree to and that follows OpenIB Bylaws

Bob Woodruff robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Tue Feb 28 09:48:38 PST 2006

Bill Boas wrote,
>There appear to be 2 groups within OpenIB thinking about different
approaches to >preparing the code for Release 1.0. One group is thinking
about downstreaming it >to RedHat and Novell, another group seems to be
thinking about separate releases >from some IB suppliers than others.

I think that it is pretty important that there be a way for customers
to know exactly what version of openib code they are getting, so
having  having a versioning (release) mechanism from openib is
definately needed and is what has started with the release 1.0 branch
that was started last week.

Also, lets not confuse release versioning with
distribution. Projects like gcc do release versions, but end users
typically get the code from the Linux distributors. OpenIB doing
release versions will also make it easier for
distros to pick up the code for distribution and be able to tell people
what version it is, just like I can tell what version of gcc is on
a particular RedHat or SUSE CD.

my 2 cents,

woody