[openib-general] Kickstart over OpenIB?

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Tue Jan 3 00:02:15 PST 2006

    Brian> I would like to know how difficult it would be to modify
    Brian> kickstart such that it would work over Infiniband.  I've
    Brian> asked the Red Hat anaconda developers about this and, as
    Brian> you can see in the attached email, they believe IB only
    Brian> accepts netlink and no ioctls for network setup.  Is this
    Brian> true?

No, I think RH support is a little confused.  A few ioctls having to
do with hardware addresses (eg SIOCGIFHWADDR) don't work for IB,
because IPoIB hardware addresses are 20 bytes while the ioctl ABI can
only handle 14 bytes.  The practical impact is that ifconfig will not
show the correct HW address for an IPoIB interface.

Other than that, any strictly IP-related ioctls will work fine -- for
example, something like "ifconfig ib0 192.168.1.2" works.

With that said I don't have much experience with kickstart, so I have
no idea if there are any other glitches that you might run into.

 - R.