[openib-general] SA cache design

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Jan 6 11:59:28 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 14:50, Eitan Zahavi wrote:
> Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 18:36, Rimmer, Todd wrote:
> >
> >>This of course implies the "SA Mux" must analyze more than just
> >>the attribute ID to determine if the replica can handle the query.
> >>But the memory savings is well worth the extra level of filtering.
> >

> > If the SA cache does this, it seems it would be pretty simple to return
> > this info in an attribute to the client so the client would know when to
> > go to the cache/replica and when to go direct to the SA in the case
> > where only certain queries are supported. Wouldn't this be advantageous
> > when the replica doesn't support all queries ?

> I think we want to make the client totally unaware to the
> existence of the cache.

Perhaps. I would express this differently: the client to be as unaware
as possible (the muxing on a per attribute to direct the request seems
reasonably straightforward).

> So the cache itself will simply forward the message (maybe changing TID).

Yes, the transformation at the cache should be as trivial as possible.

I would like to eliminate the doubling up of packets when unncessary
(for requests that the cache does not support rather than ones it does
support but does not have the information).

-- Hal