[openib-general] SA cache design

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Tue Jan 10 10:55:36 PST 2006

Sean Hefty wrote:
> To keep the design as flexible as possible, my plan is to implement the
> cache in userspace.  The interface to the cache would be via MADs.
> Clients would send their queries to the sa_cache instead of the SA
> itself.  The format of the MADs would be essentially identical to those
> used to query the SA itself.  Response MADs would contain any requested
> information.  If the cache could not satisfy a request, the sa_cache
> would query the SA, update its cache, then return a reply.

What I think I really want is a distributed relational database management
system with an SQL interface and triggers that maintains the SA data...  (select
* from path_rec where sgid=x and dgid=y and pkey=z)

But without making any assumptions about the SA, a local cache could still use
an RDMS to store and retrieve the data records.  Would requiring an RDMS on each
system be acceptable?  If not, then writing a small, dumb pseudo-database as
part of the sa_cache could provide a lot of flexibility.