[openib-general] SA cache design

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Jan 11 13:51:11 PST 2006

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> Since no one's really answered this yet:
>
> Many sysadmins are not going to want to install a relational database
> to run an SA cache. So I'd stick to Berkeley DB if I were you.

Thanks for the response.  To be clear, the cache would be an optional component,
and likely only needed for larger configurations.

 From what I can tell PostgreSQL and MySQL both ship with RedHat and SuSE.
MySQL claims that it can be built as a small library that can then be integrated
with an application.  It may be possible to have the application do everything
for the user except install the necessary libraries... ?

The installation and configuration of a database is what I see as the biggest
drawback to going this route.  Unfortunately, I need to play with this idea more
to see how much of an impact that would be to an actual user.