[openib-general] SA cache design

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Jan 11 14:21:17 PST 2006

Rimmer, Todd wrote:
> A relational database is overkill for this function.
> It will also likely be more complex for end users to setup and debug.
> The cache setup should be simple.  The solution should be such that
> just an on/off switch needs to be configured (with a default of on)
> for most users to get started.

My take is a little different.  I view the SA as a database that maintains
related attributes.

By supporting relationships between different attributes, we can provide a more
powerful, higher performing, and more user-friendly interface to the user.  For
example, a single SQL query could return path records given only a node
description or service name.  Today, we generate multiple SA queries, their

I'm not sold on the idea of using a relational database, because of the
additional complexity for end-users.  However, I believe it can offer
significant advantages over what we could code ourselves.