[openib-general] SA cache design

Eitan Zahavi eitan at mellanox.co.il
Thu Jan 12 11:15:57 PST 2006

Hi Sean,

The issue is the number of queries grow by N^2.
Only a very small subset of queries is used:
* PathRecord by SRC-GUID,DST-GUID
* PortInfo by capability mask
Not to say the current implementations are perfect.
But RDBMS are optimized for other requirements not a simple single key
lookup.
Also, PathRecord implementation requires traversing the fabric.
One could store the result after enumerating the entire
N^2*Nsl*Np-key*...
But then lookup is a simple hash lookup.

Eitan

> Brian Long wrote:
> > How much overhead is going to be incurred by using a standard RDBMS
> > instead of not caching anything?  I'm not completely familiar with
the
> > IB configurations that would benefit from the proposed SA cache, but
it
> > seems to me, adding a RDBMS to anything as fast as IB would actually
> > slow things down considerably.  Can an RDBMS + SA cache actually be
> > faster than no cache at all?
>
> I'm not sure what the speed-up of any cache will be.  The SA maintains
> database of various related records - node records, path records,
service
> records, etc. and responds to queries.  This need doesn't go away.
The SA