[openib-general] Re: RFC: ipath ioctls and their replacements

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu Jan 19 16:02:16 PST 2006

Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> We are not really in the RDMA camp.  Our facility looks more like "when
> this kind of message comes in, be sure that it shows up at this point in
> my address space", which does not match RDMA semantics.

A lot of people mean QP-like semantics when they talk about "RDMA", rather than
the RDMA operation itself.  I.e. pre-posted receive buffers associated with a
particular user-space process.

That aside, conceptually, I see little difference between RDMA semantics versus
the facility that you describe.  The main difference is the complexity of the
header and the checks done against it.