[openib-general] [multicast]examples using multicast

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Sat Jan 21 09:28:23 PST 2006

Hi Ian,

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 20:17, Ian Jiang wrote:
> On 1/18/06, Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com> wrote:
>         Multicast verbs would be used to send data from user space. Is
>         that what you are looking for ?
> Yes!

Sorry for the slow response. I've been swamped this week and am still
digging out.

>  I need some examples, according to which I could use the multicast in
> my own applications.
> Would you give some suggestions?

You would need to create the UD QP, create/join the group, and then
attach the QP to the group via ibv_attach_mcast. I don't think there is
example code for this. You can put it together from some other pieces
available though. The biggest whole is lack of a user space SA client
with MCMemberRecord support. However, there are several choices here:
build your own requests (ala srptools for PathRecords does this), use
osm_vendor_ibumad_sa.c (API in
management/osm/include/vendor/osm_vendor_sa_api.h and some example
code), or wait for the real SA client.

> And could not the multicast be used in kernel space?

Multicast can be used in either kernel (e.g. IPoIB is already doing
this) or userspace. Not sure exactly what you mean.

-- Hal