[openib-general] Re: Re: Re: Userspace testing results (many kernels, many svn trees)

Grant Grundler iod00d at hp.com
Tue Jan 24 08:47:21 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 08:26:25AM -0800, Shirley Ma wrote:
> Why not removing the platform dependency and using gettimeofday() instead
> to measure the performance?

The cycle counters can give us transaction level timing.
We can see how expensive the first/last transactions are
and what the variation is during the run.
gettimeofday() can't do that on most platforms.

AFAICT, only PPC has real wierdness with get_cycles().
And if that can't be fixed, then we will have to use
gettimeofday() on PPC or make it a compile time option.

thanks,
grant