[openib-general] RE: [RFC] DAT 2.0 immediate data proposal

Arlin Davis ardavis at ichips.intel.com
Tue Jan 24 14:42:13 PST 2006

ok, maybe we should backup and start over....

This is exactly why immediate data was initially proposed as an
extension instead of general API. We start to penalize native IB
features based on the requirements of other RDMA interfaces that have to
emulate the feature anyway.  What prevents the next  RDMA interface that
comes along from requiring other variations of the interface due to
implementation implications?  This is an IB specific feature that does
not map well on iWARP so lets just call it what it is and let IB
providers supply immediate data capabilities via the extension interface.

-arlin