[openib-general] iwarp: whats a pkey?

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at broadcom.com
Thu Jan 26 09:05:04 PST 2006

openib-general-bounces at openib.org wrote:
>     Steve> iwarp/ib experts: Should a pkey be mapped to a vlan id for
>     Steve> iwarp openib devices?
>
> No, I think trying to create a mapping is a bad idea.  The
> semantics of VLANs and IB partitions are sufficiently
> different that it's probably better to treat each concept natively.

I agree. In theory iWARP is layered over L4 (TCP/SCTP) which
is layered of IP, which is over Ethernet. Once you have that
many theoretical layers you end up with a distinct probability
that the iWARP code simply does not have access to VLAN info.

Every iWARP RNIC I know of is also a general purpose Ethernet
NIC. The VLAN functionality serves both purposes and is not
controlled/managed through RDMA-specific interfaces.