[openib-general] iwarp: whats a pkey?

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Fri Jan 27 12:32:43 PST 2006

    Roland> No, I think trying to create a mapping is a bad idea.  The
    Roland> semantics of VLANs and IB partitions are sufficiently
    Roland> different that it's probably better to treat each concept
    Roland> natively.

    Steve> Roland, can you expand on this some?

I don't think transport neutral code should be dealing with either
P_Keys or VLANs.  The Linux model for handling VLANs is that each VLAN
has a separate network interface.  So an iWARP consumer should never
deal with VLANs, just with a routing choice of interfaces.

Similarly if a consumer is using the iWARP-emulation CM for IB, then
the P_Key will come from the IPoIB interface.  Only native IB
consumers that understand partitions ever have to deal with P_Keys.

 - R.