[openib-general] few notes about last night (and elsewhere) IB upstream traffic

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Tue Jul 11 00:02:59 PDT 2006

Hey Michael,

The way IB patches are pushed upstream along the last (first to IB...)
kernel cycles is that patches are gathered in a branch at Roland's GIT
tree @kernel.org and then once or twice along the lifetime of feature or
bug fixes merge window, Roland sends an email to Linus with CC to lkml
and openib asking him to pull a patch set.

I strongly prefer this work mode among other things as of the following
reasons:

- it allows developers to easily keep track on what's went upstream and
when by just saving this 1 or 2 emails per window

- Roland tree under kernel.org is accessed via http and supports fancy
and very helpful browsing

- it creates much less traffic which is practically noise at lkml (why
are you sending each patch to netdev as well??? other than making these
patches confuse my mailer rules i don't see any reason for that)

- it confines to the linux hierarchic maintaining model, Roland is the
IB maintainer and he sends Linus ***bunch*** of patches, ***once in a
while***

Also if not urgent (eg the bug is killer and the kernel is about to be
out in few hours) i think its wrong to send fixes directly from the oven
to Linus; patches should reside in the IB git tree for a while, were
they can be pulled/compiled and tested by IB developers.

To summarize, i suggest to revert to the work mode that has been set by
Roland so far, and have it done by Roland. I did not see any note from
him that he will not keep on doing the excellent job he did so far, only
mentioned that he would be somehow slow for some time as of good and
happy reasons.

Also, and sorry to do that in public, please slow down.

Or.