[openib-general] [librdmacm] ABI file in not being created by cma module, but the user level library tries to use it

Dotan Barak dotanb at mellanox.co.il
Thu Jul 20 03:19:47 PDT 2006

I executed the example ucmatose and got the following failure:

# ucmatose
librdmacm: couldn't read ABI version.
failed to create event channel

it seems that the cma kernel module don't create any ABI file, but the
user level library

tries to search for it anyway.

did you see this problem before?

This looks like a potential backport issue.  The ABI file is usually
created under misc/rdma_cm, but I believe that the backport patch moves
the rdma_cm directory under infiniband.  (The misc directory doesn't
exist.)  The library typically looks under misc/rdma_cm.  (Note that
very old versions of the RDMA CM did not create an ABI file, so it's
possible that you have that version.)

If I remember correctly, the event channel code went into the CMA in
May.  Can you tell me what version of the ucma and librdmacm you are
using?

[Dotan Barak]

in the kernel code: cma.c:

#define CMA_VERSION 0x00

in the librdma header files:
rdma_cma_abi.h:#define RDMA_USER_CM_MIN_ABI_VERSION     1
rdma_cma_abi.h:#define RDMA_USER_CM_MAX_ABI_VERSION     2

do you meant to those version numbers?

Dotan