[openib-general] A few questions about IBMgtSim

Eitan Zahavi eitan at mellanox.co.il
Sat Jul 22 11:25:38 PDT 2006

Hi Sven,

> > Currently there is no way to scale simulation time to real time.
> > The main reason is that the time scale is mixed:
> > * OpenSM calculation time is about the same (if you run the simulator
> > on remote node)
>
> So this means that the internal operation of OpenSM with the simulator is
> identical to its operation with real hardware?
[EZ] Yes, if the algorithmic stage is only computational (like the routing stage) the time it takes is the sane as real hardware.
But the entire fabric setting is involving sending and receiving MADs thus odes not scale.

> I have done some performance test with IBMgtSim and OpenSM running on
> separate machines and to me it looks like there is very little concurrency
> between the two processes. I.e. it looks like they spend a lot of time  waiting
> for each other. Below are some results from a few simulation runs, the
> observed CPU utilization seems quite low. I would have expected much higher
> CPU load for IBMgtSim...  Any thoughts on how this matches your experience?
[EZ] Yes - these is not much concurrency. Actually it really depends on the number of MADs you allow on the wire.
Also, one of the major limitations I run into (which made me split the processes to 2 machine) was memory availability for the 10K nodes case.

I do not see what is the drive for doing these comparisons.
BTW: do you plan to run the OpenSM tests over the simulator?