[openib-general] [librdmacm] ABI file in not being created by cma module, but the user level library tries to use it

Jack Morgenstein jackm at mellanox.co.il
Sun Jul 23 02:21:35 PDT 2006

On Thursday 20 July 2006 18:43, Sean Hefty wrote:
> in the kernel code: cma.c:
>
> #define CMA_VERSION 0x00
>

>  I'm looking for the version in the rdma_ucm module.  Do you see an rdma_cm
> directory under /sys/class/misc or /sys/class/infiniband?

Hi,

Problem is with kernel 2.6.9, in which "struct miscdevice" did not yet contain
the "class" field, so the following code could not be executed in file
core/ucma.c, procedure ucma_init() :
	ret = class_device_create_file(ucma_misc.class,
				       &class_device_attr_abi_version);

Thus, the kernel module could not create the abi version file for the
userspace code in cma.c to read. (In fact, the backport needed to delete
these lines entirely).

SVN 7079 corrected this in file "librdmacm/src/cma.c" so that if the ABI was
not available via "/sys/class/misc/rdma_cm/abi_version", we would assume that
the ABI version was the latest version. (If all was not OK with this
assumption in a specific execution instance, there would be downstream
failures which would be caught).
Unfortunately, SVN 7497 broke this fix.  The fix needs to be re-instated.