[openib-general] [SRP] [RFC] Needed changes to support fail-over drivers

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Tue Jul 25 10:12:56 PDT 2006

 > > Why does userspace need to be able to disconnect a connection?

 > There are two options on who will initiate the disconnection: the userspace
 > daemon or the ib_srp module.  I considered both options and I was not sure
 > which one is better.  I choose to do it in userspace because it looks a good
 > symmetry that both the disconnection and reconnection will be initiate in the
 > same place.  I will accept your comment and change it to the kernel.

I'm not telling you what to do -- I'm just asking.

But it does seem to me that the kernel knows better when to disconnect
a connection -- eg I don't think an error completion will be signaled
to userspace.  Conversely if a target goes away and comes back with no
IOs submitted in between, then the connection should survive and
there's no reason to disconnect/reconnect.

 - R.