[openib-general] multicast questions

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Tue Jun 6 11:28:48 PDT 2006

Sean Hefty wrote:
> Does anyone know if the following multicast configurations have been tested?
>
> 1. Receiving messages on the same port that they were sent, but on a different
> QP.
>
> 2. Receiving messages on multiple QPs on the same port.

These are the situations that I'm seeing.  (Note that this is with new code, so
it's entirely possible that the errors are in the new code.)

Works:
Process A1 on node A starts and joins a group.
Process B1 on node B starts and joins the same group.
Process B1 sends messages.
process A1 receives messages.

Failure 1 (loopback):
Process A1 on node A starts and joins a group.
Process A2 on node A starts and joins the same group.
Process A2 sends messages.
Process A1 does not see messages.

Failure 2 (multiple receivers):
Process A1 on node A starts and joins a group.
Process A2 on node A starts and joins the same group.
Process B1 on node B starts and joins the same group.
Process B1 sends messages.
Process A1 receives messages.
Process A2 does not see messages.

It appears that the multicast groups are being created successfully, and the QPs
are attaching to the groups.